Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Singapore and Malaysia

Shanghaied to Singapore.  Over the weekend I was swash buckled into a trip to Malaysia and Singapore.  I am not complaining too loudly.  “They” say that you can find out a lot about a relationship by going on a trip together.  Well, me and 34 Thais went on vacation together and I decided we are not soul mates.  “Let’s just be friends”.  Mostly it was a strengthening exercise in patience and keeping cool.
Everything in Bangkok sweats.  This is Don Muang Airport  at 4:20 am.
Melaka is a neat town in Malaysia.  This is where my group of 34 Thai friends left me to find them about a mile down the road.  I asked them how long we would be here, but Thai people don't usually like to give out details like that.  So, I had fun wondering what to do without a phone, without a number to call, and without any idea where our hotel was that night.  Thankfully, it all worked out, I found our bus, again a mile down the road, and we all lived happily, ever after.
In Melaka, and all over Malaysia and Singapore you find these tricshaws.  They compete for customers with crazy decorations and sound systems, and harassment.
Melaka has an arch as you come into town with three towers.  The three towers represent Chinese, Islam, and Indian settlers that populated the town.  Europeans are seen in the architecture everywhere else, like the Dutch church in the previous picture.
Malaysia is 62% Muslim.  Many bathrooms had showers, so that people could shower before prayer, 5 times a day.
This waterwheel was used to create a current so that large ships could get into the port.  This is where I first started to get a feeling of "old seaport" from Malaysia, and then again from Singapore.  I learned: this is a mariner society.  I could just start to imagine hundred to hundreds of years ago, the pirates, and the adventurers, and sea captains, and naval vessels that sailed these waters.  The next photo is a beach in Singapore at sunset.  The sand is imported from Malaysia, but you can see the ships all around.  Singapore is a mix of English, Indian, Malaysian, Chinese, and many many others.  It was the most diverse place I have ever seen.  Similar to New York City.  Singapore is the second largest container port in the world.
Singapore is a very green city, and they keep trying to be more green.  Here is a city park.  these cool "trees" are towers you can climb up to see over the city, and it is also a botanical garden with a raised walkway.  Beautiful, but I didn't have time to go and explore because we had to go visit another mall or something.

This was a really cheesy light, laser, water show.  Thai people loved it, but I took the time to read on my kindle.  It was about a guy trying to wake up a village with his magical song.  Basically a bad, short, Disney water show.  Singapore had a lot of tall buildings.  this is the financial district where they sleep during the day, and work when the USA is awake.  They are exactly 12 hours ahead of the USA right now with Daylight Savings Time.
Very interesting hotel with three towers, and a swimming pool balanced on top.  This is in Singapore.
The famous, for tourist created Merlion of Singapore.  It was hilarious watching the people try to get shots of him spitting in their mouth.  Hundreds a day.  I passed on that one.
We were lucky to have such beautiful weather, because this week, people can't even leave their houses because of the pollution from slash and burn farming in nearby Sumatra, Indonesia.

This is a view of the Singapore Opera house.  It looks like a durian.

A beautiful Chinese temple in China town in Singapore had a great museum on the fourth floor, and a great garden on the fifth floor.  Monks chanting and playing music in the main sanctuary.  Definitely worth visiting.

Singapore had a great art cafe/ art class/ studio/ gallery.

Habitat for Humanity Singapore.  What what!








 Why not have a river with boats in the bottom of a mall?





I was in Malaysia for Father's Day, with no phone connection, but I was able to proudly show my Thai friends what reminded me of my father most, by pointing to the work belt.  I love you Dad:)
Notice the date: Day/ Month/ Year








No comments:

Post a Comment