Monday, August 5, 2013

Silk Road


On Saturday I went off on an adventure.  I went to the nearby town of Chonnabot where there is a museum dedicated to the local style of silk weaving called matmee which translates as tie dye.  The silk threads are tied and died and then it comes out in a geometric pattern when woven.  The patterns reflect natural things like birds, flowers, and butterflies. 

 I didn't want to buy any silk, but, a bolt was so beautiful, I could not resist.  It is a butterfly and flower design.  My trip was a lot of fun, and included a stop at the Tesco Lotus Express, which had many more things in it than I expected.  I got some French's mustard so now I have everything I need to make potato salad, except some sweet pickle relish.  Next week's store run...  Coming home I had to wait 3 hours for a songtao to take me home.  I arrived just in time for the 1 o'clock songtao, but needed to go buy a papaya for smoothies, so I asked if there would be a 2o'clock songtao and was told yes yes.  Well, when he got back he said I would have to wait until 4.... Good reading opportunity I guess.  More work on patience and jai yen yen.  And it put me walking down the road at the nice light to snap this photo.  

Gorgeous I think.  The brown Puey Noi I came to in March, is now the verdant green Puey Noi that amazes me and makes me want to take a thousand photos of it.  Rain is to blame.  And the hard work of the farmers who hand plant each stalk of rice into the paddies, and the paddies are in every usable foot of space.
look at this tiny little pineapple:)  so sweet.











An old Issan house at the museum.

 I loved this pineapple dress.


 Mushrooms for sale.
I thought the red and white ones were poisonous.  I won't be eating them.



 More fun adventures await.  Tune in next week to see Udon Thani and Nong Khai's crazy weird places.
Koi mahk bai tiao yu blahk blahk.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never saw so much silk! Knowing your passion for fabric, I'm surprised you only bought one piece. It's very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And these are just a few of the photos. The walls were covered in patterns, and many cabinets full too. Hundreds and hundreds of patterns. It's a collection to catalog and save all of the different patterns that are passed down generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete