Friday, May 3, 2013

Put the Awww back in Pawaw

Last week, before heading to Chiang Mai, I participated as a trainer in a seminar to train Pawaws for my local PESAO.  "What is she talking about?" you might be asking.  A pawaw is a principal of a school. A PESAO is a primary education service area office, or kind of like a school board.  Anyway, it was fun.  It was just outside of Khon Kaen City on a "resort"- which means hotel rooms scattered around with a pool and meeting rooms.  The first session started with a circle and a great song I want to learn.  I am not sure what the "English" words were, but at the end, I figured out is a chorus of "come follow me, follow me, follow me."  When you hear this you should do what the center person is doing, people take turns in the center and then you drag someone else into the center to be the "me".  I think I have been outed as a "participator" and so I was drug in pretty quickly.  The above picture is me doing my fallback robot dance and you can  see the Thai principals following me in the background.
That night we had karaoke and dinner.  We cleared the room out with our Bohemian Rhapsody, and then the five volunteers enjoyed an evening speaking English:) in our room.
The next day at closing ceremonies, I made the mistake of standing next to the head trainer, a Thai woman.  I had no idea what was about to happen, a reality I am much more comfortable with these days.  We were given the instructions to cross arms and hold hands.  Now sway back and forth, ok.  Got it.  Now sing Auld Lang Syne....uh.. don't know it.  Well behind me is the words on the projector, but wait, what is she doing???!!!  The lady next to me is shoving a microphone into my mouth!! AHHHH!!!!!  Whenever I have had a microphone put to my mouth here, it has been practically in my mouth.  Claustrophobia always kicks in when this happens.  However, I am in front of an entire room of important people.  I don't know this song, and it is hard to sing, and my arms are in a straight jacket position.  The absurdity of it got to me, and a case of the church giggles ensued.  I could not stop laughing, and the microphone did not leave my mouth, even when I tried turning my head away.  I think the words are burned into my memory now.  "we'll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne."

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are having some fun. I remember those church giggles myself. I've had a few. Now that you know Auld Lang Syne, you'll be ready for New Year's Eve when you get back home. Enjoying the blogs!!

    ReplyDelete