Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Who does that?

Who does that?  5-28-13
What would you think if someone placed three roosters around your bedroom windows?  If you are from America you might have thoughts and emotions of vengeance, anger, persecution, confusion as to “why me?” and “who did this?”.  And maybe in some parts of the United States, this would be normal and acceptable, but not in my hometown.  I think in my hometown, as in a lot of towns around the US, roosters are illegal.  I don’t agree with that, but I do understand why they are illegal; as opposed to the anti-cloths line laws which I don’t agree with and don’t understand.(don't let me get off topic.)
Both laws obviously do not exist here in Thailand.  If I tried to explain that we had these laws, I don’t think any Thai person I know would understand.  Roosters walk the streets everywhere, including downtown Bangkok, and no one has a dryer. 
But, putting three fighting cocks around someone’s bed room, especially the town farang, or foreigner, still feels like a sign of aggression for me.  But, honestly, I think that is more a feeling than a reality, and that is a thing I am learning to keep in check.
Story:
My host mom’s son, the father of the “grandson” that lives with us, is in town because he is going to be a monk next Monday.  I think for 15 days?.   When I came to Thailand for the first time, I had ideas of Buddhist monks to be a pure species, above worldly temptations and materialism.  Back in 2000 that illusion was shattered when I saw monks smoking, talking on cell phones, and now in 2013 I see them at ATMs.  Men are expected to become a monk.  So you get all kinds of men who put on the orange robes.  Last weekend in the Bangkok post was an article about gay and transgender boys who choose, or are forced into being monks because their family thinks it will change the “way they are.”   http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/investigation/351847/gay-and-transgender-katoey-struggle-with-buddhism
My “brother” who will become a monk next week lives far away.  I have seen him come home a few times, and he usually has his fighting cocks with him.  This trip to be a monk is no exception.  He likes to drink beer and smoke cigarettes and spend his day gambling.  Maybe he is becoming a monk to have some time away from that, I don’t want to falsely guess his reasons for becoming a monk, but often people will dedicate the merit of becoming a monk to a living or deceased ancestor.  It is believed that it can change the luck or fortune of a family by working in karmic ways, as a kind of karmic cleanser for a family.  My family will have a three day, loud, probably expensive, definitely a lot of work party Saturday, Sunday, and ending on Monday.
So, back to the roosters, placed safely under my windows out of the morning sun; who does that?
Well, let’s analyze this for “fun” because it is 5:30am, I am up and have already done a load of laundry because those fighting cocks are LOUD!! Really loud.
Does no one in Thailand get upset about things like this?  Loud music and roosters that disturb you are so normal, they are not even annoying?  Do people know it bothers people, but don’t care?  Do we in the US worry way to much about what people will think?
I hope that I can find out the answer to these questions, and bring that understanding back home with me.  Just two days ago I stated my goal for the next two years to use this time to transform anger in me, existing anger and future development of anger, and thank you brother, I was able to get hot and cool down about three roosters this morning.  And, maybe in the future, it will take a lot more to get a rise out of me.
In the words of Bob Marley
"Don’t worry about a thing, cause every little thing gonna be alright.
Rise up this morning, smiled with the rising sun, three little birds, is by my doorstep,
Singing sweet songs, of melodies pure and true.
Saying this is my message to you.
Singing don’t worry about a thing, because every little thing is going to be alright."

This song will forever mean something different to me than it did before Thailand.
To me it used to mean that whatever bad circumstance, it’ll get better.  Now I think, "don’t get so caught up in the small stuff."
Both good lessons to marinate on as the beautiful sun rises on a new day in Issan.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for that Jill! A sweet little chapter in Thai sociology and human perception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Babe. Bizarre situation, but at least it's temporary. In the meantime, you shouldn't oversleep with three roosters under your window! Enjoying the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested in the answers to your questions. Are we so sensitive to outside disruptions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think every person has their own buttons and levels of tolerance. The more we explore what triggers us and get past it, the closer we become to enlightened, happy beings.
    "The only thing that changes is your reaction to the outcome. In other words, no one causes us to be angry. Anger is not inevitable. Anger begins and ends with ourselves."

    ~ Susan Edmiston, Leonard Scheff

    ReplyDelete