Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Bangkok Part II or should I say pART 2



Art!!

 There was a show at the Jim Thompson House called Mnemonics.  Jim Thompson is called the King of Thai Silk.  He is a fascinating fellow, with great aesthetics.  He disappeared in 1967, but his house is a museum and features exhibits that deal with the material arts.
= the following paintings were photographed at the Queen Sirikit Museum of Art.  These are national art award winners for this year.
I love the following painting.  The artist has painted his mother, and overlayed images from the stories she told onto her portrait.
 Niroj Jarungituittawat- "Since I was a child, my mother always taught me about moral and goodness through easy, funny tales.  Nowadays, even though she's getting old, all of those stories will never be forgotten."
The following shows two naga.  The naga is something that you see in Thailand everywhere.  On October 19th, I will be going to the Mekong River to see the Naga Fireballs, where the Naga shoots fireballs into the air.  I can't wait!!  To read more about Naga Fireballs, go here....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_fireball
The following painting had this written on the placard: "Once Naga Nanthopananda, who has great power, intended to harm the Buddha and his followers by coiling around Mt. Sumeru up to the Tevatimsa Heaven to obstruct the coming of Lord Buddha.  Then Pha Mokkalla, one of Lord Buddha's disciples, transformed himself into a bigger Naga with a greater power to beat Naga Nanthopananda.  After defeated, Naga Nanthopananda devoted himself to Lord Buddha.
This story implies that nothing is greater than the truth discovered by Lord Buddha which became the guideline for everyone to live in precaution.  His purest truth, the Four Noble Truths, will lead us to happiness and forever peacefulness."- Pishnu Poolsema

I like the way this artwork uses wood, and sewing, with paint and sparkle.

The painting below is so intriguing to me.  It's refracts light so that when you move the colors in the painting change.  It is the wheel of life.  I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the museum.


I love the next painting, because it uses recycled cloth from the artists family.  Most of the textiles are from passin.  A passin is a tube of cloth that Thai ladies, and Jill, wear around the house, or to the shower.


1 comment:

  1. Some beautiful art work, Jill. I know how much you enjoy museums, especially art. I'm glad you are getting to see so many. I really enjoy your blogs. Keep them coming. Love you.

    ReplyDelete