Monday, September 23, 2013

Some Bangkok Art

I have recently spent a lot of time in Bangkok for  physical therapy on my hand and wrist.  While there I took advantage of the time to see more of the city.  I still have quite a few things left to do, but here is some of what I have done... including what most PCVs do while in Bankok...eat!  This will be splint into a few parts... Part I- some art.
I love art! Here is some art from Thai artists.  You can see they have adopted other art styles and blended it with Thai culture to produce something distinctly Thai.  I love it.  Especially the "Mondrian" water buffalo.




My favorite new artist; Opal or Krissadank Intasorn from the Lanna culture in Chiang Rai in Northern Thailand.  The screens represent the veil or mystery about transgender people.  I keep running into her work by accident.  Wonderful accidents.  Here is a great article about the exhibit http://sea.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/946181/krissadank-intasorns-folk-murals-for-our-times


 

The amazing "datoraide" from vegan restaurant Bonita Cafe and Social Club.

 At the information center in Ayutthaya is a great museum on the second floor.  Best self guided museum I have visited.  In it, they had an exhibition on some Thai foods.  Here is Kanom Krok.  One of my most favorite-st deserts EVER!!  It's coconut flour, coconut cream, coconut milk, rice flour, and topped with some green onion.  SO GOOD!!  I'll have to make them when I come home.  Here, I don't make them, because you can buy them 10/ $0.25  So good with coffee.....  I realize too much has happened.  I'm gonna split up this blog post.  I'll leave you with a laugh from Siam Center... heart+fart=smart???? What?





1 comment:

  1. hehe Thais are so funny...did you run across the funny English t-shirts sold in the streets of Bangkok?

    ReplyDelete